Social Icons

twitter facebook google plus rss feed email

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Man Behind Gollum Speaks Up About The Hobbit


Although many of us have favored with the members of the Fellowship like the courageous Frodo, the noble Aragorn or the stealthy Legolas, we couldn't deny the fact how Gollum, the gnome gave us the same level of interest as we have for these characters. First introduced originally in novel The Hobbit, Gollum was said to be a stoor hobbit named Smeagol that was corrupted by the One Ring and called it "my precious". And though depicted as a villain in J.R.R. Tolkien's epic stories about Middle-Earth, we will always see him as a deeper character who was torn between his lust to have the Ring and his desire to be free of its spell.

And of course, who wouldn't forget his appearance in the film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings back in 2001 in the Fellowship of the Ring. It was terrifying and I bet there are a lot of kids back then who were damn scared about this gnome-looking creature, an impact that was made through Andy Serkins, the man behind Gollum's creepy intonations and will come back to the big screen to reprise his role for the film adaptation of The Hobbit.


"Gollum is Gollum," he started when he was asked by Time Entertainment to tell the difference between the Gollum the viewers have seen in The Lord of the Rings compared to the Gollem they will see now in the movie, The Hobbit. "Though in Lord of the Rings he’s 600 years old and in The Hobbit he’s 540, so he looks a little bit more handsome. He hasn’t been tortured by Sauron at this point. He also looks incredibly more detailed. The fidelity to my facial performance is much greater, and the subtleties in the texturing and the eye movements. So he feels 100% real. Interestingly, at the higher frame rate of 48 frames per second, characters like Gollum work terrifically well."

Andy Serkis also answered in another interview how it felt nice for him to be reunited with his old character, who he described as his own "picture of Dorian Gray", saying: "He's never been that far away from me. Not a day goes by where I'm not reminded of Gollum by some person in the street who asks me to do his voice or wants to talk to me about him. But because 'The Hobbit' has been talked about as a project for many years, I knew that at some point I'd have to reengage with him."

He even said in both interviews how Gollum had become and will forever be a part of who he is.

"He will be with me for the rest of life, and I will grow to look more like him as I get older," he joked during his interview with the Time Entertainment. And told, on the other hand, in another interview how his youngest kid, Louie, enjoy hearing him do Gollum's raspy voice and his famous phrase "my precious".

"I'm probably running out of credits in terms of my kids enjoying me do the Gollum voice for others. Especially my older ones (Ruby, 14, Sonny, 12). It was cool when they were younger. But my youngest absolutely revels in it. He would have me do it all day long for his friends at school. So I still have great currency there!"


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be shown in cinemas worldwide this coming Friday, December 14. And I have to be candid, I am excited to see the old Gollum back in the screen.

Photo images courtesy by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...