Social Icons

twitter facebook google plus rss feed email

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fallen


Book Review

Title :  Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Price -
           (Paperback) = $9.99
           (Hard cover) = $7.20
           (Kindle Edition) = $11.49

Tagline: “What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours.”

Summary:

Some angels are destined to fall.

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at Sword & Cross boarding school in Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are screwups, and security cameras watch every move.

Except Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce—he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret… even If it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

Review:
Fallen is the debut novel of author Lauren Kate. As I remember, I happened to stumble upon this book in the year 2011. And what caught my interest was the book’s tagline, “What if the person you were meant to be could never be yours?”

It was a trap that will lead into forbidden love and tragic and as I sucker for those kind, I bought it. I just couldn’t help but feel nostalgic about its angelxhuman love story and its resemblance to Brad Silberling’s movie, City of Angels.

So what can I say about this book?

First, I love the hero, the fallen angel, Daniel Grigori. He was the one I felt very connected during the whole time I was reading the book. Although the point of view was of a third persona and seemed to be much closer to the heroine, Luce Price, I sympathize more with Daniel. And I think the tagline was really for him not for Luce. He was forbidden to love her because he was human and such thing is an abomination for the angels. Remember, the story of the Bible about the Fallen Angels, the Great Flood and the Nephilims. Though it was not entirely mentioned here, I think that was what really happened.

Daniel fell to Earth because of his love for Luce and every time he would attempt to have any strong physical contact with her such as the lightest one will be the kiss, the shadows will take her, kill her. And the most painful part was Daniel was bound to experience this, every time Luce is reincarnated and the fact that, their roads happen to always cross in every life doesn’t help too. I could hardly imagine how hard that is.

“I get to live forever. I get to live, and to watch babies being born, and grow up, and fall in love. I watch them have babies of their own and grow old. I watch them die. I am condemned, Luce, to watch it all over again and again. Everyone but you…”

– Daniel Grigori, Chapter 16, Hanging in the Balance, pg.351

Fallen is the first series in Kate’s Fallen Novel, followed by Torment. I would definitely suggest Fallen for starters and lovers of tragic and drama. Though it offers a somehow similar plot like Hush Hush and Halo, Fallen differs with reincarnation and magic is involve…where the outcome of a never-ending fight that stand against the rule of Heaven, Hell and Earth lies on  the hands of an immortal fallen angel, a mortal woman, and their eternal love for each other.

Most Memorable Part: is when Daniel brought Luce in his secret hideaway, a small lake in the woods near Sword & Cross after she was hit by a ball in her face. The two went for a swim and as Daniel left Luce behind, she saw this:

“All he was doing was shaking the water from his wet head, but a glaze of droplets seemed to hover over him outside him, defying gravity in a wide span across his arms.

The way the water shimmered in the sunlight, it almost looked like he had wings.”

- Chapter 8, A Dive too Deep, pg. 182

Most Memorable Line:
“I fall in love. Over and over again. And each time, it ends catastrophically. Over and over again… Look at me. Here’s where it gets hard… The person I fall in love with each time is you.” 

– Daniel Grigori, Chapter 16, Hanging in the Balance, pg.350

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...